Can we set up EFT for a welfare utility payment?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
d4dd10

Can we set up EFT for a welfare utility payment?

Post by d4dd10 »

We have a family asking for utility assistance. My bishop asks if it is possible to do this electronically such as EFT. I cannot see a way to add the necessary information to a payee participant that would allow this to work. Am I missing something? Does it have to be a paper check? I think his primary concern is the speed of the payment.
Biggles

Re: Can we set up EFT for a welfare utility payment?

Post by Biggles »

In the UK this is possible. You need the Payees bank account details, reference number pertaining to the transaction. Usually some form of documentation on headed notepaper, to be uploaded, containing those details is also required when setting up the Payee account.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Biggles wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 3:14 am In the UK this is possible.
Alas, in the U.S. it is not. Electronic payments can only be made to members who have designated a bank account through the online donation system, unless something has changed recently.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

lajackson wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 9:01 am
Biggles wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 3:14 am In the UK this is possible.
Alas, in the U.S. it is not. Electronic payments can only be made to members who have designated a bank account through the online donation system, unless something has changed recently.
Sorry I thought that was what I was describing in my post. If I’m reading this correctly, in the US you can only set up EFT’s to members with their own bank accounts, but this isn’t possible to businesses?
waltbristow

Post by waltbristow »

That's right. However the Church IT folks are working on this.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”