Crashes several times a week

Discussions around the Gospel Library application for Windows for Desktop and Mobile

Moderator: BowmanDH

LauraClayton

Crashes several times a week

Post by LauraClayton »

What would cause my GL (Windows 11) to crash repeatedly several times a week? I have to uninstall then reinstall, then am able to do some work on it for an hour or two before it crashes again. While working I make sure to save it often because if I write too many notes without saving that causes it to crash as well.

Is this something I am doing wrong or it something GL needs to fix somehow?

Thanks!
carsonm

Re: Crashes several times a week

Post by carsonm »

There is a new verion GL for Windows now. If you don't see version 6.8.x then you may need to see about updating it and see if that helps. If no changes after that. go to Windows Setting and search (from the left side) for installed apps. In installed Apps locate the Gospel Library App and on the right side with the .... choose Advanced Options. In Advanced Options, choose "Reset" and then give it a moment. Then try opening the Gospel LIbrary app to see what happened. Hopefully these tips help.
LauraClayton

Post by LauraClayton »

Thanks. I've done that over and over, including the restore option, and it still doesn't solve the problem, I'm afraid. End up needing to uninstall and then reinstall.
LauraClayton

Post by LauraClayton »

An update, for any of you non-techies who may also not have known this: This is the reply from the GL tech crew, and the problem was that I wasn't rebooting the computer each time I tried resetting it.

Here's the response I received, and rebooting the computer has fixed the problem. Haven't had it crash on me at all since I did that little trick!

~~~~
Uninstalling and reinstalling the app can cause the behavior you are experiencing if you do not reboot between and uninstall and reinstall. It may be compounded by the a recent update to the app that contains a number of bug fixes and new functionality that the developer team has added. The update appears to be what has installed-- that's a good thing, but it may be trying to run with old versions of background services that did not get reset, if you DID NOT shut down your computer between the uninstall and the re-install step.

To get things back to normal we recommend these steps:
Go to the Notes area and export all your annotations so you can see what is currently synced to Church servers. as a precaution.
Now reset the app as described here: https://www.technipages.com/how-to-rese ... indows-11/
Reboot your computer
Come back and make sure you are signed in with your Church account and follow prompts to download books and sync annotations. Compare with your export file. Reenter any annotations that might not have made it up to Church servers. If the app continues to crash we may need to look into this further but usually these steps will get things back to normal.

Return to “Gospel Library for Windows”