Processing An Item Donated to Ward Questions

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
dh228

Processing An Item Donated to Ward Questions

Post by dh228 »

If someone would like to donate an item to the ward, such as camping supplies, what steps should the clerk follow to track this? If the donor requests a receipt confirming their donation (I assume for tax purposes), how would one go about getting that receipt for this donor?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Processing An Item Donated to Ward Questions

Post by russellhltn »

It depends on how the member wants the donation to be handled. If they're wanting it to be considered tithing or other offering. see General Handbook 34.3.6.

If they're just donating camping stuff they have that they no longer want/need, I would suggest having the bishop write a letter on church letterhead acknowledging the receipt but not put a value on it. This would not appear anywhere in the financial records, much less the end-of-year tax statement. It would be up to the donor to declare a value for tax purposes. This is in line with what I've experienced donating used goods to other charities.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”