Church policy on contributing to your ex's family history.

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
superrobolinuxman

Church policy on contributing to your ex's family history.

Post by superrobolinuxman »

Does anyone know what Church policy is on contributing to your ex's family history after asking for a divorce?
My ex contributed numerous submissions to my family line, and as a result I am occasionally traumatized and shocked to see her name. And while I appreciate the submissions, I question why she would want to contribute them.
Any help or insight would be appreciated.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Church policy on contributing to your ex's family history.

Post by russellhltn »

What do you mean by "submission"? If you're talking about adding information to FamilySearch/FamilyTree, I don't think there's any restriction on that.

If you're talking about submitting temple work, there is a guideline.

However, note that the guideline allows for doing the work of "Descendants of your ancestors" and "cousins" (same thing, really). There's a possibility that the two of you are distant cousins, making part of your line part of hers as well. Once you start getting back to 8th, 10th, or 12th cousin, you're related to a very large portion of the population. She may not even be aware she's working on your line.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Main Church Website”