Getting highlights/markings to show up in other languages

Any discussions around the Gospel Library App on various mobile and electronic devices.
davepeterson

Getting highlights/markings to show up in other languages

Post by davepeterson »

<If I missed this topic, then please forgive me and direct me to the thread>

I frequently use my scriptures and other Gospel Library documents in multiple languages. I would love to have my highlights and notes follow me no matter what language I happen to be using. Is that even a possibility, or are all highlights, notes, etc. tied to each specific language? Thanks in advance for any guidance here.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Getting highlights/markings to show up in other languages

Post by sbradshaw »

Notebooks, tags, and stand-alone notes in the Notes section of the app are language-agnostic – they'll show no matter which language you're set to. However, annotations created in content are tied to the content and language where they were created.

It wouldn't be possible to show the same highlight in multiple languages without sophisticated machine translation. Currently, when something is highlighted, Gospel Library knows (for example) that the highlight is in verse 7 and that it goes from word 13 to word 17. If you were to highlight the phrase "I will go and do" or just "go and do" in 1 Nephi 3:7, then switch languages, somehow the app would have to map the English "I will go and do" (words 13–17 in the verse) to the Spanish "Iré y haré" (words 10–12 in the verse). It becomes even more difficult if you highlight a vague word or phrase that doesn't translate exactly.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

Highlights aren't going to move well between languages for anything smaller than a verse. Even if there was something that would figure out what text you highlighted and identify the corresponding text in the target language, the difference in grammatical structure could make the translation difficult. For example:

"Write the vision, and make it plain" (Habakkuk 2:2) maps pretty cleanly to "Escribe la visión y grábala claramente" in Spanish.

"the Lord answered" (same verse) would map to "Jehová me respondió," but taking that the other direction would map to "the Lord answered me." So do you highlight "Jehová" and "respondió" but skip the "me"?

Or, what sbradshaw said since he is faster than I am.
danwyson

Post by danwyson »

Then it would seem this could be done on a verse by verse level, which would be very valuable for missionaries. There would be no need to track translations. Just allow an entire verse or collection of verses to be highlighted across multiple languages, and then tie annotations to the verse
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

danwyson wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 4:26 pm Then it would seem this could be done on a verse by verse level, which would be very valuable for missionaries. There would be no need to track translations. Just allow an entire verse or collection of verses to be highlighted across multiple languages, and then tie annotations to the verse
This would be possible (essentially to show some sort of indicator in the margin or on the verse number if that verse has been highlighted in any language), and I like the idea. I'd recommend using the Send Feedback form in the Help section of Gospel Library to submit it as a feature request.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Gospel Library”