Misspelling in D&C Gospel Library (android)

Any discussions around the Gospel Library App on various mobile and electronic devices.
jec68

Misspelling in D&C Gospel Library (android)

Post by jec68 »

The Gospel Library contains a misspelling in the Doctrine and Covenants 35:13--"thresh" should be "thrash".
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Misspelling in D&C Gospel Library (android)

Post by russellhltn »

It's the same way on-line.

Thresh - "separate grain from (a plant), typically with a flail or by the action of a revolving mechanism.
"machinery that can reap and thresh corn in the same process""

Thresh seems more fitting.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jec68

Post by jec68 »

Good point. "Thresh" may well have been the original intent in this verse; seems very likely.
jec68

Post by jec68 »

According to Oxford, "thresh" is a variant spelling of "thrash."
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jec68 wrote:According to Oxford, "thresh" is a variant spelling of "thrash."
According to "Oxford Languages", the parent of Oxford Dictionaries, that is the second definition. I cited the first one.

I agree that the image of separating the wheat from the chaff is more likely than "beat (a person or animal) repeatedly and violently with a stick or whip".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:It's the same way on-line.
How fascinating. It is "thrash" in my old-fashioned printed version of the scriptures. I wonder if that was a 2013 change. (My hard copy predates those changes.)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:How fascinating. It is "thrash" in my old-fashioned printed version of the scriptures. I wonder if that was a 2013 change. (My hard copy predates those changes.)
Indeed! Page 5. Summary of Approved Adjustments for the 2013 Edition of the Scriptures

The change affects D&C 133:59 as well.

Return to “Gospel Library”